Andrea Bianco, born in Torino, Italy, in 1962, is Full Professor and Head of the Electronics and Telecommunications Department.
He holds a Dr.Ing degree in Electronics Engineering (since 1986) and a Ph.D. in Telecommunications Engineering (since 1994) both from Politecnico di Torino.
- Since July 1988 to April 1991 he has been involved in office automation projects requiring data-base and information retrieval integration in a networked environment in a small company in Torino.
- Since May 1991 to December 1994 he was with the Dipartimento di Elettronica of Politecnico di Torino as a Ph.D. student.
- In 1993 he was for one year visiting scholar at HP Labs in Palo Alto, CA, researching on performance analysis of the TCP protocol over ATM networks.
- From January 1995 to November 1995 he was with the Dipartimento di Sistemi di Produzione ed Economia dell'Azienda of Politecnico di Torino as Assistant Professor.
- Since November 1995 he was with the Dipartimento di Elettronica of Politecnico di Torino as a member of the Telecommunication Network group, first as Assistant Professor and later as Associate Professor.
- During the summer 1998 he visited the Electrical Department of Stanford University.
His research interest are in the fields of high-speed switching architectures and optical networks.
His teaching duties at Politecnico comprise graduate-level courses on basic telecommunication networks and advanced topics on quality of service issues and network management in modern telecommunication networks as well as on switching architectures.
He led the Italian MIUR projects on scalable software router BORA-BORA and SFINGI. He was involved in the European projects FEDERICA on network virtualization, STRONGEST om optical networks, ECONET on energy saving. in the Italian project on an optical switch demonstrator OSATE, and in the European Networks of Excellence on Optical Networks e-PHOTON/ONe and Bone. In the remote past, he participated in several National and European projects on optical networks and on switching architectures: the Italian projects RINGO, IPPO, WONDER, and EURO, the European projects DAVID and SONATA. He was also involved in several consulting and research projects with private industries, including BT, Lucent, TILAB, CISCO and Alcatel.
He holds three patents and has co-authored over 190 papers published in international journals and presented in leading international conferences in the area of telecommunication networks.
He received two best paper awards, at HPSR 2006 and IEEE GLOBECOM 2009.
He is Area Editor for the IEEE JLT (Journal of Lightwave Technology) and of the Elsevier Computer Communications journal. He was co-editor of two books and of four Journal Special Issues. He was Technical Program Co-Chair for the High Performance Switching and Routing Symposium (HPSR) in 2003 and 2008, for DRCN (Design of Reliable Communication Networks) 2005, for IT-NEWS (International Telecommunication NEtworking WorkShop on QoS in Multiservice IP networks) 2008, ICC 2010 (Optical Networks and Systems Symposium), Netwoking 2005 and IEEE GLOBECOM 2015 (Next Generation Networking Symposium). He was member of the HPSR Stering Committee in 2014-2015. He was a member of the TPC of several conferences, including IEEE INFOCOM, IEEE GLOBECOM, IEEE ICC, Networking, High Performance Switching and Routing (HPSR), IFIP (Optical Networks Design and Modelling) ONDM, and Hot Interconnects.
Andrea Bianco is IEEE Senior Member.
Switching architectures, Software routers, Optical networks