+39 011 564 4195 +39 011 564 4099Publications
Enrico Magli was born in Torino (Italy) in 1972. He received the
degree in Electronics Engineering in 1997, and the Ph.D. degree in
Communications Engineering in 2001 at Politecnico di Torino. He
is a Full Professor in the Dept. of Electronics and Telecommunications of
the same University.
He is the President and co-founder of ToothPic
, a start-up company marketing image search
and two-factor user authentication products
based on camera sensor fingerprints.
His research activities are in the field of compressed sensing, image analysis, image/video compression, and image/video forensic and security. He has
coauthored over 250 scientific papers in international journals and
conferences, including more than 70 journal papers and 6 book chapters, and has organized
several journal special issues and conference special sessions. He is a Fellow of the IEEE.
- NEW!!! Check out our recent
compressed sensing papers and software on the web site of the CRISP
ERC starting grant project. We are also on YouTube,
Google+ and LinkedIn.
- NEW!!! Check out our work on large-scale camera identification and secure two-factor user authentication using smartphone camera sensors on the web site of the ToothPic start-up.
Current research activities
Image and video compression
- Image and video coding using graph Fourier transform.
- Directional transforms for image/video compression.
- Deep learning for image/video compression.
- Lossless, near-lossless and lossy compression of hyperspectral, multispectral and solar corona images.
Machine learning and neural networks for image and video analysis
- Generative models for images and video sequences based on deep neural networks.
- Image and video analysis using deep convolutional and recurrent neural networks, including license plate detection, vehicle recognition, and pedestrian detection.
Image and video forensic/security
- Large-scale camera identification using photo response non-uniformity.
- Two-factor user authentication based on smartphones.
- Systems for processing data in the compressed and encrypted domain using random projections.
Advanced signal models
- Compressed sensing and sparsity, with application to distributed systems, compressive imaging for hyperspectral and space science instruments, security/encryption and processing in the compressed domain.
- Graphs for efficient representation of complex signals and structures and the related learning problems.
- Associate editor of the IEEE
Transactions on Multimedia and former Associate editor of the IEEE
Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology
- Associate editor of the EURASIP
Journal on Image and Video Processing
- General co-chair of IEEE MMSP 2013
and IEEE ICME 2015. TPC co-chair of IMAP 2007, IEEE
MMSP 2011 and IEEE ICME 2012, VCIP 2012 and VCIP 2014.
- Current chair of the Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP) Technical Committee of the IEEE
Signal Processing Society (term 2016-2017).
- Member of the Multimedia Systems and Applications (MSA)
Technical Committee of the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society.
- Member of the Visual Communications and Image Processing
(VCIP) Technical Committee of the IEEE Circuits and
- Member of the Data Archiving and Distribution (DAD) Technical Committee of the IEEE
Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society.
- Member of the Italian delegation to the ISO (SC 29 WG 01, Coding
of still pictures), co-editor of JPEG 2000 Part 11
(JPWL) on the transmission of JPEG
2000 images in wireless environments.
- Research Associate with CNR-IEIIT from Mar. 2017
- Enrico Magli is IEEE Fellow since Jan. 2017.
- Enrico Magli has been nominated IEEE
Distinguished Lecturer for CAS during 2015-2016. Check out
information about available
- In 2011, Enrico Magli received an ERC
Starting Grant with a project entitled CRISP
- Towards compressive information processing systems
- IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society 2011
Transactions Prize Paper Award for paper: A. Abrardo, M.
Barni, E. Magli, F. Nencini, "Error-resilient and low-complexity
onboard lossless compression of hyperspectral images by means of
distributed source coding", T-GARS, v. 48, n. 4, Apr. 2010,
- Best Student Paper Award (3rd place) at the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP),
as senior author for paper "Predictive graph construction for image compression", by G. Fracastoro and E. Magli, which has been chosen among 1000+ accepted papers.
- 2010 Best Reviewer Award of IEEE
Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observation and Remote
- 2011 and 2014 Best Associate Editor Award
of IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video
- Best Paper Award "Francesco Carassa" 2011
awarded by GTTI (Gruppo
Italiano Telecomunicazioni e Teoria dell'Informazione) for the
paper "Lossy compression of distributed sparse sources: a practical
scheme" by G. Coluccia, E. Magli, A. Roumy and V. Toto-Zarasoa
- Top 10% awards: MMSP 2011, MMSP 2013, ICIP 2015 (2 papers).
Recent research projects (EU funding)