+39 011 564 4195 +39 011 564 4099Publications
Enrico Magli was born in Torino (Italy) in 1972. He received the
degree in Electronics Engineering in 1997, and the Ph.D. degree in
Communications Engineering in 2001 at Politecnico di Torino. From January 2011 he
holds an Associate Professor position in the Dept. of Electronics of
the same University.
His research activities are in the field of compressed sensing, error
resilient image and video coding, compression of remote sensing
images, distributed source coding, and image/video security. He has
coauthored over 130 scientific papers in international journals and
conferences, including more than 50 journal papers, and has organized
several journal special issues and conference special sessions.
- NEW!!! Check out our recent
compressed sensing papers and software on the web site of the CRISP
ERC starting grant project. We are also on YouTube,
Google+ and LinkedIn.
Current research activities
Image and video coding for multimedia communications
- Compressed sensing, with application
to coding of correlated sparse sources, and to hyperspectral
- Next-generation video coding.
- Secure communication of image and
- Image analysis and classification.
Compression of remote sensing images
- Lossless, near-lossless and lossy compression of hyperspectral
and multispectral images.
- Associate editor of the IEEE
Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology
- Associate editor of the IEEE
Transactions on Multimedia
- Associate editor of the EURASIP
Journal on Image and Video Processing
- General co-chair of IEEE MMSP 2013
and IEEE ICME 2015
- TPC co-chair of IMAP 2007, IEEE
MMSP 2011 and IEEE ICME 2012
- Special Sessions co-chair IEEE ICME
2010 and IEEE MMSP 2010.
- Member of the Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP) Technical Committee of the IEEE
Signal Processing Society.
- Member of the Multimedia Systems and Applications (MSA)
Technical Committee of the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society.
- Member of the Visual Communications and Image Processing
(VCIP) Technical Committee of the IEEE Circuits and
- Member of the Data Archiving and Distribution (DAD) Technical Committee of the IEEE
Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society.
- Member of the Italian delegation to the ISO (SC 29 WG 01, Coding
of still pictures), co-editor of JPEG 2000 Part 11
(JPWL) on the transmission of JPEG
2000 images in wireless environments.
- Technical Program Committee member and session chair at several
international conferences, including ICME, ICIP, ICASSP, MMSP,
- Enrico Magli has been nominated IEEE
Distinguished Lecturer for CAS during 2015-2016. Check out
information about available
- In 2011, Enrico Magli received an ERC
Starting Grant with a project entitled CRISP
- Towards compressive information processing systems
- IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society 2011
Transactions Prize Paper Award for paper: A. Abrardo, M.
Barni, E. Magli, F. Nencini, "Error-resilient and low-complexity
onboard lossless compression of hyperspectral images by means of
distributed source coding", T-GARS, v. 48, n. 4, Apr. 2010,
- Best Student Paper Award (3rd place) at the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP),
for paper "Predictive graph construction for image compression", by G. Fracastoro and E. Magli, which has been chosen among 1000+ accepted papers.
- 2010 Best Reviewer Award of IEEE
Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observation and Remote
- 2010 and 2014 Best Associate Editor Award
of IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video
- Best Paper Award "Francesco Carassa" 2011
awarded by GTTI (Gruppo
Italiano Telecomunicazioni e Teoria dell'Informazione) for the
paper "Lossy compression of distributed sparse sources: a practical
scheme" by G. Coluccia, E. Magli, A. Roumy and V. Toto-Zarasoa
- MMSP 2011 top 10% award for paper
"Complexity-Adaptive Random Network Coding for Peer-to-Peer Video
Streaming" by A. Fiandrotti, S. Zezza, E. Magli
Recent research projects